Rail Projects Victoria is the Victorian Government body responsible for the delivery of Melbourne Airport Rail, the Metro Tunnel Project, Regional Rail Revival, Sunbury Line Upgrade and the Western Rail Plan.
Construction is underway on the Metro Tunnel which will untangle the City Loop, and benefit train lines across the network. Visit the Metro Tunnel website
The Regional Rail Revival program is upgrading every regional passenger train line in Victoria, and is a joint initiative of the Australian and Victorian governments. Visit the Regional Rail Revival website
Melbourne Airport Rail will connect Melbourne Airport to all metropolitan and regional rail lines via Sunshine. Learn more about Melbourne Airport Rail
The Sunbury Line Upgrade will enable more modern trains to run on the line, creating room for 113,000 more passengers every week. Learn more about Sunbury Line Upgrade
Planning for projects including electrification to Melton and Wyndham Vale, increased capacity between Sunshine and the CBD, and major investment in the Geelong and Ballarat line. Learn more about Western Rail Plan
Victoria's Big Build
Victoria’s Big Build continues in Spring. Major works delivered by Rail Projects Victoria include:
- Upgrading the Sunbury Line with track, power and station platform upgrades to enable more modern trains to run on the line
- Continued tunnel-boring to connect the Metro Tunnel's new underground stations.
Other major works include:
- Removing level crossings on the Upfield, Frankston and Cranbourne Lines
- Duplicating eight kilometres and track on the Cranbourne Line
- Building three brand new stations on the Upfield and Cranbourne Lines
- Relocating a 2.5-kilometre gas main to prepare for major construction on the North East Link in 2021
- Helping to make it safer and easier to travel around Melbourne by building the Mordialloc Freeway, upgrading the Monash Freeway, and widening the West Gate Freeway.
For a full list of disruptions, visit Victoria's Big Build.
Keeping the community safe - responding to coronavirus
Construction on large-scale public infrastructure projects has been deemed critical under Stage four restrictions, so works will continue, with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
There will be an increase of workers on Victoria’s Big Build projects as construction site restrictions ease and more permitted workers can return.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority. Under new restrictions workers on all of Victoria’s Big Build sites are required to wear face masks unless they meet any of the criteria for exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
For more information and advice about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.