The Secretary to the Department of Transport is the determining referral authority under the Metro Tunnel Design and Development Overlay (DDO). Rail Projects Victoria is the project delivery team for the Metro Tunnel Project and acts on behalf of the Secretary in relation to referred applications under the DDO.
A planning permit is required to undertake certain works in the vicinity of the Metro Tunnel alignment to protect the new infrastructure being delivered.
Find out the process to follow if you intend to construct a building or carry out works on land affected by Design and Development Overlays.
If you intend to construct a building or carry out works on land affected by the Design and Development Overlay, we recommend that you seek advice from Rail Projects Victoria at an early stage by applying for pre-planning advice.
These websites, reports and documents provide further information regarding the town planning requirements for the Metro Tunnel.
- Metro Tunnel Environment Effects Statement (EES)
- Metro Tunnel EES Inquiry and Advisory Committee
- Melbourne Metro Rail Project – Infrastructure Protection Areas Incorporated Document, December 2016 (Externally hosted PDF)
- Future Development Loading Report to Support GC82 (PDF, 5.8 MB)
- VicPlan- Planning Zones and Overlays
- Planning schemes and amendments