About the Sunbury Line Upgrade
The Sunbury Line Upgrade began construction in 2019 and is scheduled for completion by the end of 2023.
- removal of the Gap Road level crossing in Sunbury, in a partnership with the Level Crossing Removal Project
- power upgrades between Sunbury and the Metro Tunnel entrance near South Kensington station
- platform extensions extending from Sunbury to Footscray.
- installation of wheelchair boarding platforms at eight stations
- train stabling upgrades at Sunbury, Calder Park and Watergardens.
Sunbury Line Upgrade was funded in the Victorian Budget.
Why is the Sunbury Line Upgrade needed?
Patronage on the Sunbury Line is increasing at a rapid rate with demand set to exceed capacity in the next decade.
The Sunbury Line Upgrade, in conjunction with the Metro Tunnel, will deliver major improvements in capacity, reliability and frequency of services on the Sunbury Line.
Rail Projects Victoria is delivering this upgrade as we build the Metro Tunnel.
Community and stakeholder engagement is an important part of the planning and delivery of the Sunbury Line Upgrade. There will be opportunities to provide input as the project progresses.
What are the benefits?
The Sunbury Line Upgrade will:
- Increase the capacity, reliability and efficiency of trains running on this busy line
- Create room for 113,000 more passengers every week
- Create an end-to-end Sunbury to Pakenham/Cranbourne rail line linked by the Metro Tunnel
- Boost electrical capacity along the Sunbury Line to power bigger, more modern trains and enable all trains to run more frequently
- Extend platforms along the Sunbury Line to fit longer trains
- Extend train stabling facilities at Sunbury and Watergardens to fit longer trains, and build additional stabling at Calder Park to house trains and enable more services
- Improve access to stations with wheelchair boarding platforms installed on platforms
- Give Sunbury Line passengers direct access to five new CBD stations, including connections to the City Loop
- Improve access for people living in Melbourne’s booming north-west to employment, education and other opportunities
- Cater for continued population growth across Melbourne
- Provide hundreds of jobs
- Help ensure Melbourne’s north-west remains a great place to live, work and learn.
- Download the Sunbury Line Upgrade fact sheet (PDF, 601.7 KB).
- Learn more about upgrades in your area.